Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Don't Mess

Warning: The following post will have adult language. It is rated 'M,' for Mature.

Some asshole decided to come into my store today. After asking him if I could help him with anything, he muttered something like, "I know what I'm doing." He went straight to the monitors and started messing with them. One of my co-workers went back and just kind stood around. THe customer asked him if he would get an extra discount on an open item that was marked for clearance.

It was a $584 monitor. It was on clearance for $298. It was below the manufacturer's cost.

He was told by my co-worker, "It's already half off, what else do you want me to do?" Well, something along those lines.

The guy said he was given attitude, and asked if he could speak to a manager. I hesitated, and walked away for 3 seconds so I could let him cool down if only a bit. I came back, and he asked if I had one new in the box. I told him I would check. My inventory said that I had a new one, so I told him I would try to find it. I checked the normal places and the warehouse, but I couldn't find it. I told him the display model was the only one left, and he asked again to speak to a manager.

I called him over and quickly briefed him. When we got back, he immediately started ranting about, "professionalism and respect." He mentioned how he was a manager for a competitor of ours. My manager calmed him down, and again backed us up on the price. He wanted to check it out with a different computer, so he asked if I could remove it from the display location. I did, because I thought he was going to buy the monitor. Might as well disconnect it, right?

I set it up, and it wasn't getting a picture. He then said, "Well, just hook it up to this computer." He then started undoing the cables. I told him to let me do it. He mentioned that he had done this plenty of times. I told him that I was the employee, and he was the customer. (Well, something like that.) He kept going anyway. I turned my back.

He then complained that the text was blurry, but still wanted it anyway. He asked if another store would have new one in the box. I checked my inventory, again, and told him that his best shot was a store 30 minutes away. He asked if I could call and verify that they had one. I informed him that to my knowledge, I cannot make that call. I can only give him the number. I explained to him why, and he started walking away mid-sentence. He made some gesture to the chic he was with, and walked off.

He complained one last time to my manager. Something about how he came in to buy something, but he didn't receive enough help.

My manager wasn't angry, but he was mildly upset. When he heard my coworker's side of the story, and my confirmation of that story, he understood the situation. In his words, "No matter how rude a customer is, we still have to be respectful. After they leave, then we can label them an asshole."

The guy was nearly 6'3, and probably 190lbs. I don't care. If we were out on the street, I'd still do some damage to him. Everyone that witnessed it would have taught the guy a lesson had we not been in our work clothes.

If you come into my store and disrespect me, I won't help you. I'll do the opposite of helping you. If I have the item you're looking for, and there's one left, I'm not selling it to you. If I'm off the clock and doing some shopping, and I notice you're being rude to one of my co-workers, I'll have security watch every move you make.

I said words today that I haven't said in years. I'm hoping it will years more before I say them again.

No comments: